Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chapter 8: Gertie, Patty and Juliet - Oh, My!

 Captain's Log -
Gertie and I got into a bit of an argument at her cottage the other night.  I had come over to spend time with her. Time that wouldn't entail sleeping with her since she was my friend.  I was exhausted between work, Patty and Juliet - who had both made it known they wanted to keep dating me.  But I had lost time with my friend, so I made a surprise visit to her cottage.
She wasn't very receptive to me and when I opened my arms for a hug, she threw up her hands in denial.
 "Ho, there! I don't think so 'Captain Calico'," her tone was new to me; like the first frost on the grass in Fall.
My arms dropped to my sides, "Excuse me?" I blubbered.
Gertie's hands found her generous hips and she cocked her hip to the side.  "It's no secret what Patty and Juliet do with you.  They talk about it all over town.  Everyone, especially the ladies, are calling you Captain Calico.  Like you're some kind of Casanova."
The once-over she gave me was a little degrading and proverbially unseated me from my high horse. I could feel my shoulders begin to slump in dejection, but I forced it at bay. "Now Gertie, really.  We're adults here.  What's wrong?"
She huffed, "Everything!" then her voice softened, "And nothing.  Look, I'll be honest.  I don't know what you were feeling but what I was feeling when we first met was," she paused, a heated blush rising up her décolletage to her cheeks.  "I really liked you, Tom.  'Liked' in the sense of maybe spending my life with you but then I didn't hear from you for days and when you did call you had a wall up.  That wall's been up ever since.  And then you go and date around me and make a name for yourself in this forsaken town.  A name you're so proud of, but it isn't you."
All those words, all that she said, really hurt.  And although I felt my own anger bubbling up, I swallowed it knowing that no good would come from yelling back.  Worst of all, Gertie was right.  I had felt something for her, she had felt something for me and I had made a point to avoid that when I recognized it.  I had hurt her, unconscionably so.
I sighed heavily, feeling the weight of my guilt on my shoulders.  "You're right.  You're absolutely right, Gertie. I'm sorry for hurting you, I never meant it really."
Gertie's eyes welled with tears. "Tom,"
"No Gertie," I held up a hand to stop anything else she might say.  "I catch your drift.  I'll be going."


And with that, I left her place, feeling strangely alone.

Then yesterday morning, Patty called me before I went in to work.  We chatted a little, I never told her about my apparent fall-out with Gertie.
"Hello, my captain!" Patty greeted over the line, "I've been missing you. You've been remiss in your duties as captain."
I couldn't help but smile, "And what duties are those?" I asked.
"Come over tonight and we'll talk business,"
I barked with laughter, "Right, 'business' and just that."
"You know it, Captain Calico.  See you tonight!"

So after a quick change of clothes after work, I headed over to Patty's place.  Her sister Serena had company over, so we snuck off to the bathroom to hear each other talk over the booming music.
Patty took her hands in mine, "I'm glad you came, I've missed you.  We could join Serena's party if you want.  I kind of forgot about it.  But if you want, we can just head across the hall to my room . . ." she leaned in towards me a little.

Thinking briefly on Gertie and how my chances with her were gone fueled my response.  "Let's go to your room."

I was at Patty's well into the night, in fact, I did not get home until three in the morning, which left me getting little sleep to run off of for work today.

As I headed off to work this morning, my phone rang.

I was astonished to see it was Gertie calling.  I debated about not answering, my heart lightened at just seeing she was calling.  I answered, eager to hear what she had to say.


"Tom, I'm sorry," her voice came over the line, she'd barely waited for me to say hello.  "My temper got the best of me, but I don't want to completely throw away our friendship.  I've thought about what I said and it all came from jealousy.  I wanted to be Juliet or Patty, I wanted to be the girl you wanted.  But if I can't be that then I'd rather be your friend than nothing at all."
I couldn't believe she was apologizing to me. In truth, I hurt her more than she hurt me.  "Don't be sorry, Gertie," I began, "You were right to say those things."
"Not so meanly.  I should have bit my tongue or found a kinder way to speak to you about how I felt. But please tell me when can be friends at least."
I knew now how I felt about Gertie.  Now I knew without a doubt how she felt about me.  I wanted to date Gertie, I wanted to see where it led, I didn't want just friendship anymore.
"Hello, Tom?"
"Uh, yes.  I'm here, Gertie. Listen, I was just thinking maybe we should try seeing each other.  Why don't you come over tonight and we'll see how it goes."
"You mean it? Really?"
"Yes, Gertie.  Come over tonight after work.  Let's just have quiet time with no interruptions."
"Then I'll see you around nine tonight."

I headed off to work after our conversation.  The day couldn't go fast enough.  I was eager to see Gertie, to hug her close and to see what was in store for us.
When nine o'clock finally did roll around, I treated her to a laughably burnt dinner I prepared.  We watched some television and talked.  And before the end of the night, I encouraged Gertie to come to bed with me.

It was one of the most rewarding night's of my life.  It put my other nights with Juliet and Patty in the pale.




~Tom Calico, First Mate

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun read! I've added you to my blog roll so I remember to come back for updates! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you like it.:D I make pretty frequent posts for now. I'm actually trying to catch up on the blog where I'm at in the Sims 3 game. So tomorrow sometime there'll be a new post.

    ReplyDelete