Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chapter 6: And Then There Was Patty . . .

Captain's Log - 
It's day thirty on Barnacle Bay.  And it's day four since I last talked with Gertie.  Although she has called, I have been ignoring her, unsure of my feelings, and scared about how quickly I began to feel something I daren't name.  
I headed back to Barnacle Beach today in hopes of meeting new people. 

It was quiet when I first arrived, so I made myself comfortable at a chess table and started in on a game.  But my mind wasn't paying attention and I found myself drifting in thought, thinking of Acacia, Gertie, work and wondering why I didn't stay on the doomed Mistral long enough to be killed.


In frustration with myself, I got up from the chess table and helped myself at the bar and poured a quick drink.
And that's when I caught sight of a lady who walked in the door.  I downed my drink and headed her way, intending on making her acquaintance.

 I began to introduce myself, but she looked at me as if she knew me.  She smiled, "I'm Patty.  Patty Abe.  And I've heard of you, Tom Calico."
Before I could ask how she'd heard of me, she smiled and said, "Word spreads quick on a small island." her smiled faltered before she continued, "I am sorry . . . about your ship . . ."
I felt the pang in my chest deepen a little but I had nothing to say.
Patty sighed, as if finding words difficult. "I . . . I'm actually on my way into work.  I was just making a pit stop.  I'd love to chat, maybe I'll see you around?"
And me, being the verbose and eloquent pirate said, "Uh,"
Patty giggled, "Catch you later, Captain Calico!"

I didn't have the heart to correct her.
~ Tom Calico, First Mate



Captain's Log -

It's day thirty-one, and I caved in and chatted with Gertie on the phone.  My conscience couldn't rest until I apologized.  I told her that I'd been busy with work - whether she believed me or not, I don't know.  But she forgave me and I felt the honesty in that from her.
We decided to get together later, I promised to call.

I headed over to Founder's Park, the weather too balmy to resist.  I wasn't too surprised when I ran into Patty again.
"Hello there, Captain!" she greeted, grinning at me as if she were excited to see me.
"Hello Patty Abe," I replied.
"Fancy meeting you here," she murmured and winked.  "I was just thinking how to run into again and here you are."
I detected flirtatiousness from her and proverbially walked cautiously.  "Yes, here I am.  Are you headed to work?"
"Not yet, I've got time. I was just meeting my sister here for awhile.  Do you play chess?"
"It a past time of mine," I hedged, for a moment I thought of Gertie.
We played a couple of rounds, talking about everything and nothing.  She told me about her sister Serena, I told her about Acacia.  She told me how much she enjoyed working at the theater, and I told her how little I enjoyed being a traffic officer.

Simple, comfortable conversation.


After chess, I invited her back to my home before she headed off to work.
"I know it's in the opposite direction of where you work, but . . ."
"I'd love to!" she exclaimed, promptly blushed and then seemed to mentally calm herself before saying,

 "I mean, I don't mind.  I have some time." she pulled off a casual smile.

Once home, and mere seconds after closing the door, Patty kissed me.  Nay, I'd say charged me.  I was nearly knocked to the ground by the force of her embrace.  But I caught myself by catching onto her.

 And I didn't need much encouragement to kiss her back.  One thing led to another . . . And before I knew it, we were relaxing companionably on the bed after a tussle under the sheets.

"I forgot to mention I'm having a party later tonight.  Nothing really special, just food and drinks with friends.  Please say you'll come."
"Uh," I pandered, "S-sure, okay."
"I'll leave you my address," Patty was already getting off the bed, and redressing. "I have to go though, I'm late for work." she came around to my side of the bed and pecked me on the lips, "Nine o'clock, okay?"
And before I could say anything, she was gone.

I sighed heavily, thought seriously about what had just happened in the span of about twenty minutes, was shocked at myself, but strangely, I felt pretty happy about it.

Later on in the evening, I made it over to Patty's party - a little late, but unnoticed by Patty.  She was busy talking with Gertie.  How they knew each other, I had no idea.  Gertie had never talked of Patty when she had mentioned friends.
I wondered for a moment if this would make for an awkward evening.  But then the girl in the pink dress came up to me.

 "You must be Tom Calico,"
I glanced at Patty, who didn't seem to have noticed I had walked in.  She was immersed in conversation with Gertie, who seemed to be ignoring me.  I'm sure I'd seen her glance at me.
"Patty's told me all about you.  It's nice to meet you!"
I wonder really, what Patty could have shared with this woman - and Gertie for that matter.  Certainly not of the tryst we'd had at my place mere hours ago.
"I'm Juliet Verona, I work with Patty.  She said you're the infamous pirate who's been exiled to our shores."
"I wouldn't say exile, more like castaway."
Juliet smiled, gave me a once over, not unlike a bird of prey to a potential meal.  What was it with these Barnacle Bay women? Were there not enough fish in the sea? I've spent so long at sea, was I not aware of the catch that I made?
Honestly, I found it a bit of a rush to be the interest of three different women.  I then started considering asking Juliet on a date.  But I wasn't sure between things happening with Gertie and things that had already happened with Patty.

~Tom Calico, First Mate
Just a First Mate

No comments:

Post a Comment