Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chapter 7: . . . Followed By Juliet

Captain's Log -
Day thirty-three. Before Patty's party ended the other night, Juliet pulled me aside.
"Well, aren't you going to ask me out?"
I had stared at her a moment, pointed Patty's way, "Well, we . . . I have been seeing Patty a bit . . ." I floundered like a fish out of water.
Juliet's smile grew, "Oh, I know. She's a bit of a flirt, but she'd mentioned she was just casually seeing you.  I was hoping you'd ask me out, but I don't want you to go before you do.  So ask me out." Juliet encouraged, sidling closer to me.
The heady feeling came back full-force.  I had come to the conclusion then and there that there just must not be enough catches out there for them.  Maybe too, a foreigner was simply more attractive.  Whatever the attraction, I welcomed it.  "Sure, Juliet.  Would you like to go out with me, say, tomorrow?"
"Why Captain Calico, I though you'd never ask." Juliet batted her long lashes, placed a hand dramatically to her chest in flattery.  
"Let's meet at the local pub, about seven." I continued, encouraged by Juliet's own coy behavior.  I didn't bother to correct the title, nor attempted to do so.  I think Patty must have shared it as a nom de guerre.

I ended up having a fantastic evening with Juliet.   

 We enjoyed a good dinner and drinks.
 And, I did show off -- but just a little.
 We kissed . . . quite a bit.
 We even met up for awhile in Founder's Park at dusk.

Time with Gertie was a precious thing, something that was over before it got started, because I got scared.  Time with Patty was . . . entertaining, to say the least.  And time with Juliet -- well, the only word that comes to mind is Splendid.

~"Captain" Tom Calico

No comments:

Post a Comment