Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chapter 21: Bringing Up Baby(ies)

Captain's Log -

Cordelia has mentioned her desire to have a baby.  Although this entry may mark the first word of it, it isn't the first time she's ever said anything. It is the first time that I've actually started giving thought to having another child in the home - especially knowing now that Cordelia is pregnant.  We never bothered with protection, knowing that the outcome would likely be to have another child.  Honestly, I'm a little surprised she wasn't pregnant sooner.
So yes, my Delia is going to have a baby.  Our baby.  And it's been a long time since feeling this distinct excitement.  I have no real trepidation in the future, because I know history will not repeat itself.  Cordelia is a wonderful mother to Una, I have no doubt in her ability to be a mother to a newborn.
I am however, worried about Una.  She has been flourishing and growing under the guidance of Cordelia and me.  She has been (dare I say) given much love and has not wanted.  I fear in giving so much to Una, she has become accustomed to being an only child.  She has made it clear through her more frequent tantrums that she isn't interested in having a sibling to share affections with.  Time will tell if her feelings will change on the matter.
Yesterday, I took Cordelia to the doctor so we could be sure her pregnancy was progressing well.  She is nearly out of her first trimester.
Imagine my surprise when the doctor confirmed to us that Cordelia wasn't just pregnant with one child, but with three.
Triplets.
And in about five to six months they would be here.
Cordelia laughed, the doctor smiled, and I broke out into a nervous sweat.  Three, really?
"Well, Calico," Cordelia reached over to touch my shoulder.  She kept her perch on the examination table, I was in a waiting chair at her side, "Well, we've been waiting out for some time to see when I'd get pregnant.  All good things come to those who wait, right?"
"And apparently, they seem to come in three's." I replied.
We laughed together.


~Tom Calico

No comments:

Post a Comment