Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chapter 19: Smooth Sailing

Captain's Log -

It's been too long since my last entry.  Life has been busy with raising Una that I've lost time to record all the happenings in our life.
First, I must share news that Gertie has married into a prominent family in Barnacle Bay, the Inkbeard's.  No doubt of some pirate heritage with a name like that, but respected very much in town.  She married one of the son's named Bart.  Although I was not in attendance to her wedding, word in town is that she is happy.
And I wish her joy in her union.  Time with Una, finding my own joy in fatherhood, and pride in my work has allowed me to let go of the bittersweet ache that had been holding a place in my heart for some time.  Although I still regret how it all turned out for us, I cannot deny that she certainly found the 'happy ending' she deserved.
Second, Patty has moved on without hesitation since our fall-out.  Last time I heard, she'd been caught on the arm of Felix Soto who was married.  She still hasn't come to see Una.
And last, though by far the best news is that I've been seeing someone. We met at the local gym.

She seemed to be struggling with the weights and I had offered to help spot her (although it doubtless wasn't necessary.)  She accepted and that's how simply our relationship started.


We were friends at first, everything platonic in deed even if my thoughts were otherwise.  We found a mutual love for sports and exercise, and went together to the gym four nights a week.

We spent other times talking on the phone late into the night.
 And when Una was down for the night on other evenings, Cordelia would come over to watch movies or TV with me.
We inevitable forgot about what we watched to talk more with each other.
She seemed to love hearing about my "worldly adventures" and I never hesitated to share some old, nearly-forgotten tale from a life that almost didn't seem like mine anymore.
And when moments were right, I confessed to her my abandoning ship and how I ended up on Barnacle Bay, and how I came to be Una's only parent.
And when she was comfortable, she told me how she had ended a long love affair with an older man who had hidden his marriage from her after years of companionship.
We had both been burned and found comfort in each other knowing we wouldn't inflict such heartache on the other.
Una too, has come to recognize and enjoy Cordelia's company when she's visited on weekends.  It seemed like our little home of two was now more complete with three.
With a little trepidation, fear in repeating the past, I held back on asking Cordelia to move in with me.  But eventually, I warmed up to the idea and she accepted when I asked.
Cordelia has fit into my life as perfectly as any piece to a puzzle.  Una has grown accustomed to having her as a playmate and quite simply, I love her.

~Tom Calico

3 comments: